Complete Streets are streets for everyone! They are designed and operated to enable safe access for all users, including pedestrians, bicyclists, motorists and transit riders of all ages and abilities. Complete Street programs make it easy to cross the street, walk to shops, and bicycle to work. Safety is a critical goal along with the efficient flow of traffic and other considerations such as parking, emergency vehicles, utilities, storm water treatment, and snow management.
Complete Streets can offer many benefits in all communities, regardless of size or location including:
- Increased economic vitality.
- Improved safety for all users.
- Encouraging more walking and bicycling.
- Ease of parking and general transportation woes.
- Safer travel routes for children.
What is a TIGER Grant?
Transportation Investment Generating Economic Recovery (TIGER) is a supplementary discretionary grant program included in the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009. TIGER grants are awarded to transportation projects that have a significant national or regional impact.
Projects are chosen for their ability to:
- Contribute to the long-term economic competitiveness of the nation.
- Improve the condition of existing transportation facilities.
- Increase energy efficiency and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
- Improve the safety of U.S. transportation facilities.
- Enhance the quality of living and working environments of communities through increased transportation choices and connections.
The U.S. Department of Transportation (USDOT) also gives priority to business improvement projects that are expected to create and preserve jobs quickly and stimulate increases in economic activity.
The Concord Downtown Complete Streets Improvement Project is partially funded through a TIGER Grant.